Sunday, October 10, 2010

Excuse me Doug E Fresh...

A friend of mine discovered part of Doug E Fresh's record collection in a long forgotten brownstone on 162nd Street in Harlem. With his permission we moved them to another friend's basement in Brooklyn and I came along to document it...

Here is a selection of still photographs and video screen grabs from the shoot. My friend Jaime Labrija helped me out with another camera and a digital audio recorder. I really wanted to try and convey how incredibly dusty it was in the house so I am hoping we got some really great audio.

Doug E asked us to stop by his restaurant after the shoot. It's a chicken and waffles spot on 162nd & Adam Clayton Powell in Harlem called Doug E's (of course.) Then we drove the records to Brooklyn to store in a friends basement. We barely fit in the back of the van and were sitting on top of the records, but we managed to use a flashlight to dig while we drove. The basement turned out to be a hatch in the sidewalk that was about 15 feet tall, so we had to devise a trashcan pully system and lower the records crate by crate. By the time I got home it was 12 hours later I was covered in a thick layer of dust and carrying ten new records and some early 90's mixtapes. All in all it was a pretty unbelievable day. One of those days you are pretty sure you will never forget.


Share

No comments: